Wednesday, November 21, 2012

If you could be anything what would you... PROTEIN!

Do you remember when you were younger, and you were always asked the question "If you could be anything what would you be..."? Most of the times we would answer with a favorite superhero or animal. For me it was always a waterbender.... Yes that was an Avatar the Last Airbender reference for those of you fellow fans! But since this is my AP Biology blog I decided that if I could be any macro molecule of course I would be a protein!
I know most of my friends are probably laughing at this point because it is well know that I can't spell, and protein happens to be one of those words that I can never seem to get right. (If you take a gander at my AP Bio notes you would see protine written all over them.) Although proteins and I have had our difficulties in the past, I have grown to love them. Part of that new found love may just be because of the Cell War project that we recently started in AP Bio last week, but you will be hearing about that in my next post! ;)

Enzyme
Proteins. Where to start? Well... proteins pretty much do everything. (shout out to Mr. L's bio class!) Proteins have many different structures due to their many different functions. The 3D shape of a protein different depending on the job that it is made to do. Proteins are formed within cells by the Ribosomes. Ribosomes create proteins through the process of protein synthesis, which is the process of pairing RNA. Proteins as I said earlier pretty much do everything. They are involved in the transportation of substances, structure of cells, cell communication, and much more. Here is a picture of an enzyme, one of the most important proteins made.
I would choose to be a protein because they are involved in so many things. They truly are essential to life, and it is amazing how the difference of their structures can completely change their function. Anyways, I hope this post may inspire you to think about what macro molecule you would like to be? And if you're not into biology, you can just stick to being a waterbender. :)
For Now
Yours Truly,
The AP Bio Student
Photo Credit:http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS389US389&biw=1366&bih=596&tbm=isch&tbnid=lzCZXGzTkivxlM:&imgrefurl=http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/06/061011.ied.shtml&docid=rzMukc_Zf18wJM&imgurl=http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/06/images/061011.enzyme.jpg&w=1250&h=1250&ei=CT2tUOyZMsSoyAGi1YHoAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=298&sig=111805202
718627583709&page=1&tbnh=149&tbnw=149&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:190&tx=106&ty=63











1 comment: